eCampus news: Project-based learning engages students, garners results

I read the article on project-based learning which is defined by the Buck Institute for Education as “a systematic teaching method that engages students in learning knowledge and skills through an extended inquiry process structured around complex, authentic questions and carefully designed products and tasks.”

The article describes products that schools can purchase for teachers to use that provide students with a real-world concept in business, or science that propels students into data analysis, economics, business planning etc. Teachers act as facilitators for students who work in groups to investigate the problems and possibilities.

I like the premise and I know that I would enjoy learning with the students using a product like this. Although I did not see particular prices for the packages, Buck Institute did offer a book to guide teachers into making their own projects for $35.00. This will not include computer modules of data that can be analyzed though.

However, as a teacher candidate, I also noticed that High School High’s “emperor of rigor” or the director of instructional support thinks that teachers think about the things they are passionate about first, things they think are important to cover second,  and then state standards third. When I get into a classroom, I hope that there is a director of instructional support available for help and that state standards can come after my passions as well. I also hope that I survive the first couple of years so that I can offer project-based student inquiry lessons too.

What do you think?

One thought on “eCampus news: Project-based learning engages students, garners results

1. Project-based learning sounds like it is, or is very similar to inquiry-based learning. It isn’t necessary to purchase boxed projects. In science at least there are many experiments and authentic experiences that students can have using commonly available and cheap materials. As math has many real world applications and multiple angles from which it can be explored I assume the same would hold true for your area. I too hope to use inquiry learning, but don’t view it as being in conflict with the standards…as a project could probably cover many standards in one go. Here is to us both surviving our first year of teaching!